Very interesting list of tried and tested solutions for crayon marks on the wall. I suggest you could have this list printed and pasted or placed on the fridge with a magnet for the time young Johnny or little claire decides to show her talents on the walls.
21 Tips For Removing Crayon Marks From Walls
- Toothpaste (regular paste–not gel). This one’s my first pick always (good old regular Crest), it also helps clean up permanent marker stains pretty easily.
- Art gum Eraser – gently rub on marks in a circular motion, can also try a regular pencil eraser. Done carefully, this might be an option for wallpaper stains.
- Baking Soda – make a paste with water and use it to gently scrub the mark. You could also just sprinkle baking soda on a damp sponge and rub.
- Baby Oil – apply directly to crayon stains then rub off.
- Mayonnaise – Glob some on the stain and scrub a bit in a circular motion, then wipe off.
- Shaving Cream – apply to markings, rub in, then wipe off.
- WD-40 – spray some on the marks and rub off. Wash walls with hot soapy water once the crayon has been removed.
- Turpentine – dab some on a damp cloth and scrub into stain to remove crayon.
- Lighter Fluid – apply as you would turpentine
- Goo Goo – Same directions as for turpentine
- Ammonia – soak a section of cloth in household ammonia and scrub markings. You may also luck out with an ammonia based cleaner like Windex and a hot soapy cloth.
- Vinegar – soak a toothbrush in white vinegar and scrub marks off.
- Heat – Take a hair dryer to the crayon stain and allow it to heat the wax. Wipe heated crayon wax off with a hot, soapy cloth. You could try a clothes iron as well (no steam), just make sure it’s on a low heat setting so it won’t scorch the paint. Place a few paper towels between the wall and the iron.
- Hand Lotion – rub directly into crayon and wipe off.
- Powdered Dishwasher Detergent – make a paste with water and gently scrub area. Some detergents contain bleach so be careful on wallpaper.
- Powdered Household Cleaners – such as Ajax or Comet. Mix with some water or sprinkle on a damp sponge then scrub gently.
- Non-stick Cooking Spray – just spray it on then wipe off the marks. Not the best solution for wallpaper since this could leave a grease stain.
- Hairspray – spray generously on walls then scrub off the crayon.
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser – go gently, you don’t want to rub off any paint.
- Rubbing Alcohol – Saturate part of a clean cloth then rub stains.
- Moist Baby Wipe Towelettes – Rub them directly on the crayon stains and scrub markings off. The homemade baby wipes should work too!